Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Beginning to create/construct the Hummingbird Robotic Hand

I found an idea on the Hummingbird kit website of creating a robotic hand using the Hummingbird and I wanted to try it!

The first step was to trace and cut out the shape of a hand using cardboard. The lines on all of the fingers and thumb were reminders for me of where to cut slits into the cardboard to help the hand move correctly. Here is a photo of what that looked like on the piece of cardboard before and after cutting it out.




The next step was to use a sharp blade to cut out the hand and also make slit marks where they were marked on the hand. I also cut out little pieces of a plastic straw and hot glued them on all of the fingers in between the slit marks. 


I then took pieces of yarn and cut five pieces that were all roughly the same length. I put the string through the pieces of straw on each finger and also cut a slit in the middle of the hand in between the 4 fingers and the thumb which is where all of the pieces of string would meet and go through the slit in the hand to come out through the back of the piece of cardboard. This took a little bit of time to fit all of the pieces of string through the pieces of straw and work them through the slit of the hand and the end result looked like this: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing up the Final Project

After I uploaded the video in the correct spot on the app, I wanted to test the results! I stood up the cereal box and used the scanner on ...