Thursday, September 19, 2019

First steps of designing my 3D print

When deciding what to I wanted to print I knew that I wanted something that would be functional and also creative. I decided to look up some ideas on the internet and I wanted to build off of those ideas that I found. I have been needing something to prop up my phone with while I'm at my desk and watching videos off of my phone so I decided to print a phone holder in the shape of a shoe (I love shoes and have a bit of a collection). I saw a picture of this sort of design online and put my own spin on it. The first thing that I did was went into the website Cookie Caster and traced an image of a shoe to use as the holder for the phone.

Here is a screen recording of that process. 


I then went into the website Tinkercad and created a base for the shoe to stand on. I measured that the base would need to be at least 158.2 mm wide to fit the phone horizontally, so on Tinkercad I went ahead and made the base that big all the way around. I wanted the phone holder to be sturdy and so it needed a strong base. 

Here is the base that I designed using Tinkercad.


I then imported my shoe design from Cookie Cutter into Tinkercad and fit it on top of the base. I made it 160 mm all around. It took me a little while to get it centered and straight to my liking but I finally got it to how I wanted. I then had to group the two objects together using Tinkercad so that it would not print as two different objects. 

Here is the final product on Tinkercad. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Finishing up the Final Project

After I uploaded the video in the correct spot on the app, I wanted to test the results! I stood up the cereal box and used the scanner on ...